More than 600 million young people live in fragile and conflict-affected states, and in many fragile countries, more than 60% of the population is under the age of 25, making youth the largest group that experiences the impact of fragility and conflict. Young people represent the largest youth demographic the world has ever seen and hold enormous potential to create peace in their communities. Evidence has shown that sustainable peacebuilding comes from the bottom-up. While youth are often characterised as passive recipients of peacebuilding, they must be recognised as active peacebuilders who are able to focus their efforts on safeguarding, stimulating, facilitating, and creating the space for societies to develop resilient capacities for self-organisation.
The One Young World Peace Ambassador Scholarship, delivered in partnership with the European Commission, aims to empower young people to build more cohesive and peaceful societies.
Scholarship recipients will participate in the One Young World Summit 2022, which will see 2,000 young leaders from 190+ countries descend on Manchester for the global forum for young leaders. During the Summit, delegates will present and debate solutions to our time’s most pressing issues alongside senior leaders. Scholarship recipients will join a community of over 200 Peace Ambassadors who have participated in the programme since 2017. The 2022 Peace Ambassador Programme will have a focus on the role of disinformation in fuelling hate speech, conflict and violent extremism.
- Participants’ voices will be amplified enabling them to shape the policies that affect them most.
- Increased visibility of young leaders contributing to Peace and P/CVE in their communities.
- Participants will foster dialogue around the key theme of peacebuilding.
- Recipients will learn more about the European Union and its institutions and their role in promoting peace and fostering respect for fundamental rights and freedoms.
Peace Ambassadors will receive*:
- Access to the One Young World Summit which takes place 5 – 8 September 2022 in Manchester, United Kingdom.
- Roundtrip travel to Manchester and back to the country of origin.
- Hotel accommodation for the duration of the Summit.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner during the One Young World Summit.
- Membership of the One Young World Ambassador Community
- Profiling in various media outlets.
How To Apply?
- Aged 18 – 30** by 5 September.
- Candidates need to be actively engaged in the fields of peace building, conflict resolution, tackling disinformation, or countering violent extremism.
- Available to join the programme full time between 4 and 8 September 2022
- Nationals of countries considered to be ‘developing or emerging’ according to the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook and selected countries that are affected by conflict are eligible to apply. See ‘Eligible Nationalities’ below.
Fill the form using the website official link if you qualify