Tourism is resilient. While it has been one of the most impacted sectors by global crisis, it has also demonstrated its potential as a major force of recovery.
Now, with an accelerated digital transformation and technology adoption throughout the tourism value chain, the sector stands out as a leader for responding to the toughest challenges.
At the same time, youth has proven its capacity to come up with technology, social impact, and sustainability solutions. However, they need concrete support to keep their energy and unleash all their projects’ benefits.
For this reason, UNWTO calls for a joint effort amongst stakeholders and launches the Awake Tourism Challenge seeking to find the most innovative startups that are working to advance the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Is My Start-up Qualified for this opportunity?
Startups from all walks of life, from all over the world and all economic sectors are invited to participate if meeting the following criteria:
- Be innovative in nature providing value-added solutions
- Be sustainability-driven
- Be scalable: to have potential for international growth and potential to be applied in corporations and destinations (countries, regions)
- Be an Early Stage or Series A startup
- Introduction or adoption of digital and technological elements
- Have a tested pilot and business plan
- Have been accelerated before
- Have a full-time team including at least 2 members under 35 years. Gender balance will be also considered.
All ways of innovation are welcome: technology, social impact and sustainability solutions.
How To Apply?
Get ready for your application:
- Keep in mind the category you will apply for
- Read the Terms & Conditions of the Competition
- Read the questions in the Application form
- Make an attractive pitch deck in English (no more than 15 slides)
- List your web page, social media users and contact information
- Once you have all of them ready, fill out the Application form in English and submit it
Once you have all of them ready, fill out the Application form in English
Find some benefits below !
Benefits for winning startups include but are not limited to:
- Sponsorship provided by Wakalua to pitch at the UNWTO Demo Day (venue and country tbc);
- Application through the YouNoodle platform, which facilitates introduction and growth opportunities for startups;
- Access to 90+ Venture Capitalists, Top Corporations and 150+ Countries;
- Become a Member of the UNWTO Innovation Network;
- Curated mentorship and acceleration programme from our partners;
- Membership at the Startup Campuses;
- Potential pilot project with private sector collaborators and institutions;
- Potential seed funding;
- Incubation services in Les Roches Spark Innovation Center, including 3 months accommodation in Crans-Montana, provided by the Sommet Education group.