On 28 June 2017, the President of the UN General Assembly, H.E. Peter Thomson, will convene Member States, the UN System, and stakeholders at the United Nations Headquarters in a High-level SDG Action Event on Education.
At the request of the Office of the President of the General Assembly (OPGA), the UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (UN-NGLS) is facilitating a process to identify 2 youth civil society / social entrepreneur speakers (age 30 or under) as well as stakeholders wishing to attend this event as observers.
Civil society / social entrepreneur youth speakers are to be identified through the UN-NGLS process for participation in one of the four panel discussions as follows:
• Panel discussion I – “Tackling SDG 4: What will it take?”, Showcasing opportunities, challenges and solutions to push for universal access to quality lifelong education including by addressing the need for adequate, effective and accountable financing for free primary and secondary education.
- be 30 years of age or younger;
- be volunteers for a civil society organization or network, academic institution, trade or technical institution or youth-related education program.
- be authorized officially by their organization or network to speak on behalf of the organization or institution (providing a signed letter from head of organization or a supervisor);
- have excellent competency in the field of education for sustainable development and related issues outlined in the event description found here;
- have demonstrated ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
- be available to be in New York on 28 June 2017; and
- have a visa for travel to New York, or be able to obtain one within 2 weeks. (Please check with the US Embassy or Consulate in your country. Selected speakers will receive an invitation letter to support a visa application, but will be responsible for obtaining the visa and for any costs associated with obtaining the visa.);
- for a speaking role, be a compelling speaker and can communicate in one of the six UN languages – or Arabic, English, French, Chinese (Mandarin), Russian or Spanish
25 May 2017 – Apply for stakeholder Selection Committee
26 May 2017 – Apply for civil society and social entrepreneur speaking roles
4 June 2017 – Apply to attend the event as an observer
Travel funding is not available for observers.